The Sacrament of Baptism is the first step in a lifelong journey of commitment and discipleship.
Whether we are baptized as infants or adults, Baptism is the Church’s way of celebrating and enacting the embrace of God.
As Catholic parents, you desire to offer your children God’s sacramental gift of salvation through Baptism. You promise to raise your children in both a home and Church community that supports their growing Catholic Christian faith. The Sacrament of Baptism begins with the priest or deacon saying to your child, St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish welcomes you with great joy. In its name, I claim you for Christ, Our Savior, by the Sign of the Cross.” Your family’s weekly worship is vital for your Faith to grow and develop. We certainly encourage your family’s active participation here at St.Maximilian Kolbe.
The Celebration of Baptism:
- Our preferred time is during any weekend Mass. An alternative time is before or after Mass. There are no Baptisms during Lent.
After the Mass/Ceremony:
- take home your child’s Baptismal candle to use again on the anniversary/special occasions.
- Check your Baptismal Certificate given at the end of the ceremony for errors. Contact the Parish Office 315-524-2611 if changes are needed.
- You may remain for photos.
- Register as a member of St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish.
- Participate in one Baptismal Preparation session.
- Schedule the time and date of Baptism by contacting the parish office (315) 524-2611.
- Choose a Godparent who will be:
- An active Catholic Christian role model for your child.
- A helper to you in your duties as Christian parents.
- A Witness for Christ and keeping His “Light of Faith” alive in your child.
Note – You may name a Proxy to stand-in for a Godparent who cannot attend.
Requirements for Godparents:
- A confirmed, practicing Catholic who has received Baptism and Eucharist.
- Minimum 16 years of age.
- Most parents choose two Catholic Godparents, but only one Catholic Godparent is required.